Saturday, April 14, 2012

Letter and Package arrive in mail



We received this letter from Parker last week with a package. Thought I would share. For those that are not members of our church, Parker mentions trainers and he is referring to the first missionary companion he will serve with out of the training center. They help teach him what a missionary does and the day to day routine and stuff like that. We also learn why he no longer refers to himself by Elder Bennett but Elder Parker. We hope you are enjoying his letters.

Bennett Family,

I think it's funny how real and true this gospel is. Seriously, the church is the only true church and literally the only one that receives correct revelation from God the Father and Jesus Christ.

President Tavares receives correct revelation for us all. My 1st 4 weeks here we worked really hard and when I say we I mean Elder Freitas. I had decided that I was going to wait my first 2 transfers and do nothing for the first 3 months til I could really actually help people. Since I didn't know the area, Language, culture, people, how to be a missionary, or what a missionary is. I decided I'd just get dragged by my 1st 2 trainers and study them. I had literally said to myself everyday in my mind while we walked and after appointments that I did and said nothing. I would say to myself, "I'm a sleeping giant waiting till everything falls into place, then I'll awake, but for now I'm a sleeping Giant.
Seriously, everyday I'd repeat to myself, "I'm a sleeping giant awaiting to be awoken." And that was my attitude the 1st 4 weeks and ya you guessed, we baptised nobody. Got really close with about 2 or 3 but nothing.

Then President and sister Tavares came and we had a zone conference and they trained us for seriously 8 hours straight. Was really good. Its where I learnt the only reason I'm here is to Baptise. I honestly thought I was just here to spread the church to everyone and serve everyone. Dang wrong. Then President Tavares told a story of the legend of the sleeping Giant in the city of Rio De Janeiro. Legend has it that the rock formation by the ocean side in Rio De Janeiro is a Giant; sleeping. He was a giant and he ruled the land but one day he got a little tired, and thought he'd just lay down for a second. Then he was so comfortable laying down and not being the Giant that he is that he layed there a little longer.He was a Giant no more and now just land for everything to rest on. He stayed a sleeping Giant forever. But President pulled this video up which I think was a commercial in Brazil about how the Giant woke up and the whole city notices, and then, here's the best part, as the Giant is walking across the ocean side and every step hes shaking the whole city a caption came across the screen: "O Gigante Nao Esta Mais Adormecido" "The Giant is no more asleep". When I saw that, O mama! It stirred something in me. I mean my exact words, I was like, "Serious the Giant (me) sleeps no more!" And ya, he hasn't slept no more, literally, I get up at 5:30 every morning so I can study and pray more and the results of the Awaken Giant. . . .3 Baptisms in 3 weeks since I awoke! and I got 2 more this week and 5 the week after. (Family) that's right! By the time you read this, I will have worked as an instrument of the Lords work for 7 more Baptism. I speak with every person I see, I only think about Baptism and that's all I want. Our missions goal is 200 Baptisms this month, and President Tavares asked for 1.5 Baptisms per couple. The AWOKEN GIANT, the shepherd of Londrina, the Farmer of the field, and the fisher of the sea, ELDER PARKER will give him 5, if it be the Lords will.
I love you all, God Bless. Remember that its by small and simple things great things come to pass. Pray, fast, read the scriptures, repent, bring forth good works continually and you can know the mysteries of God and bring thousands to repentance. Can there be any greater Joy?

I am sending home my Elder Bennett name tag. Elder Bennett didn't know he was here to Baptise so he did just that. Baptise nobody! Elder Parker has more than your fingers. He knows his purpose as a missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment